Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Day of 3rd Grade

We had a much better start to school this year. Boogs was not very excited about going back to school but he said he had a pretty good first day. I was happy to hear that. He told me all about the book his teacher started reading to them - a biography of Roald Dahl. Everything else that happened at school today was "fine".

We continued our first day of school traditions this year with a picture by the front door before school, a special lunch, and an after school trip to the book store.

I can't believe how big Boogs is getting. I have no idea how 8 years have passed by so quickly.

On the first day of kindergarten I made Boogs a lunch based on The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. That lunch was the start of all of Boogs' school day lunches being inspired by books. I have made a new Kissing Hand lunch on the first day of school since kindergarten. This book is about a little raccoon who is scared to go to his first day of school. His mother gently places a kiss on his hand to remind him that she loves him even when she is not with him. Here is this year's lunch:
In the Laptop Lunchbox: yogurt, homemade zucchini muffin, almond butter & jelly mini sandwich shaped like "I love you" in sign language, boiled egg Chester raccoon, 3rd written on a marshmallow, strawberry & cantaloupe hearts, and salad with radish & carrot mini hearts.

Previous Kissing Hand lunches, you can click them to see their original posts:
http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2011/08/1st-day-of-kindergarten.html

http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2012/08/first-day-of-1st-grade.html

http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2013/08/first-day-of-2nd-grade.html


Boogs was happy to continue our tradition of picking out a new book on the first day of school. This year he chose a Captain Underpants book. He smiled when he picked it up and said, "I don't think you will like my book choice but can I get it anyway?" He read the first two chapters in the car on the way home from the book store.
Here is hoping 3rd Grade will be a positive experience for Boogs.

Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest.  I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

8 comments:

  1. Super cute and meaningful lunch Keitha, and I still remember the lunch you made last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rina. It is getting difficult to come up with a new way to represent The Kissing Hand each year. Boogs was happy to continue this first day tradition.

      Delete
  2. Love all the lunches, current and previous ones. Yes, they grow up so fast! My boys love to read that Captain Underpants book, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your lunches are always so beautiful. I appreciate the compliment.

      Delete
  3. My little one is just starting school this year. I love your themed lunches - such a fun way to remind kids that we're thinking of them even when we're not with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fun. When Boogs was in preschool, I made a few themed lunches for him. The story themed lunches did not start until kindergarten,

      Delete
  4. What a fun lunch!! We love going to the bookstore for the first day of school as well. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete