Monday, August 26, 2013

First Day of 2nd Grade

How is my little boy a great big 2nd grader???
The night before Boogs started Kindergarten, we read The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.  It has become a night-before-school-starts tradition. I started making story themed lunches on the first day of Kindergarten and have made one almost every school day since then. Boogs asked me to keep making them for 2nd grade. He also wanted to continue our tradition of having the first lunch of the new school year themed to The Kissing Hand.
In the Laptop lunchbox: sausage & cheese hearts, mini Sunbutter & jelly hand sandwich, Momables recipe No-Bake Energy Bites shaped into hearts, salad with heart radishes, yogurt, berries, and a marshmallow with 2nd grade written with a Foodwriter marker.


After school, we kept up our tradition of going to the book store to get a new book for the new school year. Boogs loves picking out books.
 He had to read through quite a few before he found the perfect book to take home - Skylander Giants.
This is the first year that Boogs was sad for the new school year to begin. During Open House last week, he discovered that his 3 best buds were not going to be in his class. He said he had a good day but was still missing his friends. I love my little sweetie with all my heart. I wish him the best 2nd grade school year EVER!

Kindergarten Kissing Hand Lunch
 1st Grade Kissing Hand Lunch

This post is linked to:


Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

16 comments:

  1. I love that you start the year with a lunch based on the same book every year. They are all wonderful. Thank you for linking this post to the Back to School Traditions link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love The Kissing Hand. Boogs likes sharing this book with me before starting a new school year. It is comforting to both of us. Thank you for hosting the Back to School linky.

      Delete
  2. Love the bento and tradition you have with your kiddo! Me and my kiddo LOVE that book.Ours is before she leaves the car at carpool we kiss each other hand like the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet! Boogs and I kissed each other's hands everyday before drop off during kindergarten.

      Delete
  3. That is such a sweet tradition! I'm glad he wants to keep doing it. I dread the day my little girl doesn't want themed or cute lunches anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!. I am glad he is still into it. I hope he never gets "too big" for it.

      Delete
  4. A lovely idea for the start of school.

    Thanks for joining in The Sunday Showcase. I've pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the kissing hand book! My son started 2nd grade this year too - boy they grow WAY too fast!

    Hugs to you & yours this year =)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      Thanks! They do grow way too fast! Hope your son has a wonderful 2nd grade year with you.

      Delete
  6. Hazel's pre-k class did a Kissing Hand craft and read the book at orientation. Such a wonderful book. I love your lunches each year. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, thanks so much for your kind words. We love this book, too!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful idea; I absolutely love this idea and the secret meaning for your child behind their special lunch! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete