Friday, April 6, 2012

Lunches April 2nd - 6th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic by Betty MacDonald
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle lives in an upside down house filled with secret cupboards of pirate's gold. The parents of the town trust Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle to give them advice and potions to cure their children's disagreeable habits. Boogs and I have been reading this book a chapter at a time, off and on over the past couple of weeks. We finished the last chapter last night. He immediately got the other Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books out of the boxed set and wanted to know when we were going to begin the next one.  As a parent, I love how this books made my son cheer for the "cures" of bad habits. This book is full of rich vocabulary which Boogs and I frequently stopped to discuss. I took the opportunity to focus on using context clues to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words :-) Ex: convulsions of mirth, bilious green, jostled, spectacles, flounced, lighthearted, paroxysm of laughter, criticism, inherited, and so many others. In the lunchbox: Babybel Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, upside down house, cheddar cheese pirates gold, sesame stick & mini-rice cake "pills", broccoli trees concealing a treehouse, and fruit.

Scrambled States of America by Laurie Keller
We have read this book many, many times. Boogs brought it home from his school library.  I think our copy must have gotten lost in the move because I cannot find it. In the story, Kansas is tired and bored of being stuck in the middle of the country. He and a few of his neighbors organize a party for all of the states, "one of those get-to-know-you deals." When the states get together, they decide to swap places. Eventually, the states return to their normal positions. When Boogs was two, we started reading this book, putting together this Melissa & Doug US puzzle, and singing the Fifty Nifty song. We sang the song last night (after not singing it for probably a year) and I was surprised that Boogs remembered most of it. In the lunchbox: Texas and Wyoming pb&j sandwiches, Minnesota peas, California fruit salad, New York Babybel cheesecake, Iowa (pop)corn, and a US flag marshmallow.


Easter Ribbit by Bernice Chardiet
I posted this lunch earlier this week for a Bunny Blog Hop

Curious George and the Birthday Surprise based on the stories of H.A. Rey and Margret Weston
Boogs was born on 04/05/06. Happy Birthday to my sweet boy. Today (Thursday) is his 6th birthday. We have a large collection of Curious George books and this one seemed perfect for a birthday boy bedtime read. In the lunchbox: birthday cake pb&j sandwich decorated with fruit leather "6" and icing, six cheese balloons, marshmallow with a Happy Birthday message, salad with six carrot candles, and a container of pineapple tidbits decorated with a Stampin' Up present (retired stamp). Boogs said he loved this lunch.
The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
I read Beatrix Potter's books as a child and enjoy sharing them with Boogs.  In the lunchbox: berries picked by Flopsy, Mopsy, & Cottontail, peas like the one carried by a little mouse, garden vegetables, boiled egg Peter Rabbit, and Johnnycake jacket, pant, and shoes lost by Peter while trying to escape.


Check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post.

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe how cute these ideas are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. I used to read them to my second graders!

    Happy Easter! Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I taught 3rd grade, my students really enjoyed them.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this! How very cute.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! What a great bunch of books and lunches! Really like the Easter Ribbit - going to have to hunt that one up at our library. Thanks for sharing at the Kids weekly coop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...did you cut those states? That's amazing! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I own a Texas cookie cutter and chose to include Wyoming because it is a square. :-)

      Delete
  6. Always love to see your creative lunches and books you are reading. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the lunches are related to the story from the night before! I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty MacDonald and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle are very popular all over the world.

    We had several international Betty MacDonald and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle fan Club meetings with fans from 5 continents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I loved the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books when we were growing up. I think it is pretty neat that my son loves them, too.

      Delete