Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Geoboards

C and I had fun planning this learning playdate to make geoboards. While the kids were at school, we collected our supplies. It was funny having the two of us trying to decide what type and thickness of wood to get. We spent at least 10 minutes on the nail aisle debating which nails would be best. Neither one of us is what you would call "handy".

We chose to make geoboards this week to bring in a bit of math to our learning playdate. First, everyone had to measure and mark where to place their nails.



Next, it was Hammer Time! 


Oops, had to pull out a crooked nail.




Big Sis wore the Bob the Builder hat.

Then, it was time to use the geoboards with rubberbands to make some shapes.
B's board

Boogs' board

E's board

We talked about and named most of the shapes Boogs made on his board.

I made one, too.

The kids were very engaged in this project. It took quite a bit of time to hammer in all of those nails. When they were finished they asked if they could use the safety goggles for a project of their own. They wanted to protect their eyes while burying each other in pebbles.




Boogs and I are going to use our geoboards at home to practice making and naming shapes.

17 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! I mentioned it on my blog, http://52brandnew.com as I did my Weekly Kids Co-op roundup. We will definitely be making these over the summer, if not sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Danielle. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I want to try doing this with my son. thank you! Am pinning to remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these boards. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to play with them. THey just look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! I love how they needed the goggles afterwards, too! I've been thinking about doing something very similar because my daughter has a "digital geoboard" that she loves and I keep thinking the real thing would be good too. I also want to make a bed of nails, but I think I'll wait a few years on that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son sat on a bed of nails at a children's museum. He thought it was so cool.

      Delete
  6. PS. Thanks for linking this up to Teach Me Tuesday! I'm going to share it on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! You all are so handy now ; ) My son has a teeny-tiny one, but it seems fairly easy to make! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever idea. They turned out great...but I have to say my favorite picture is the second last one with a little guy so deeply buried.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is my son, Boogs, getting buried. He is the smallest of the kiddos, so he was the easiest for them to cover up. It is fun seeing what kinds of crazy ideas they come up with while playing.

      Delete
  9. What a fun lesson. As a former math teacher I love geoboards and love that you made them as well. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know I am featuring this post this week at Sharing Saturday!! Stop by to grab a featured button if you would like. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I can't wait to see all the fun link-ups this week on Sharing Saturday!

      Delete