Sunday, July 28, 2024

Family Vacation in Fiji Day 11 June 2024 - Last dive day in Fiji

Today was our last dive day in Fiji. I considered not going diving. During the night, I became completely congested and started coughing. I only slept about two hours. My husband said he was feeling better but still had a lingering cough. Congested and coughing is not the best way to scuba dive. I took an Advil Sinus and hoped for the best. I figured if I was unable to dive, I would still have a nice boat.

For our last diving day, Koro Sun Dive took us to Grand Canyon and Dream House dive sites. Dive master Jeff told us about the "magic coral" we would see on the dive. If you gently touch the coral in one spot, it will turn white and the color change will spread across the coral. After a few minutes it turns back to its original color. Boogs touched this coral while my husband filmed the color change.

Just before our second dive, Boogs noticed air leaking out of my husband's regulator hose. Jeff switched out the regulator hose, but the replacement hose also had a leak. Jeff swapped out his own hose to give to my husband. Jeff took the hose with the slower leak. He said his best piece of advice if things go wrong while diving is, "If you panic, be sure to panic slowly." Luckily, the leaky hose was not a problem during the dive.

We saw several gray reef sharks on this dive. We were still hoping to see some hammerhead sharks, but they didn't show themselves. The quick turn this shark made, makes me a little nervous about being in the water with them.

My husband followed these two fish for a while. They moved so gracefully together.
I think this is a carpet anemone. They were all over the coral reefs in Fiji. Some were quite large. I really liked watching them sway with the current.
I had a few coughing fits while diving but nothing too bad that made me not want to complete both dives. We had an awesome dive day.

Koro Sun Dive had an amazing dive crew. We appreciated their professionalism, competitive price, and the relaxed and adventurous atmosphere on their dive boat. We met interesting divers on each of our dive days. I really jealous of some of our fellow dives - the American couple on an extended holiday which began in Japan in March to see the cherry blossoms and will continue throughout the summer, the Australian couple on a four month tour through Polynesia and the South Pacific, and the young German guy who was traveling for several months just because. I would love to have an extended, island hopping trip some day. But for now, I am so happy we were able to have this beautiful family vacation.

Today's dives were a great way to finish our diving adventures in Fiji.

No comments:

Post a Comment