Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Story Themed Lunches

Boogs is reading chapter books and graphic novels on his own and I read chapter books to him before bed. Occasionally, I am able to sneak in a picture book for our bedtime reading. I came across this Battle Bunny book and thought Boogs would really get a kick out of it.

Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett
Alex receives a simple and sweet little bunny book from his grandmother for his birthday. Alex alters the story by crossing out words, adding words, changing pictures, and adding-in his own illustrations. He turns the book from a sweet story into a story about the Bunny's evil plan to rule the world. Alex draws himself into the book to stop the evil Battle Bunny and save the world. I thought this was really clever. Boogs was not happy with this book. He was upset the author "felt the need to ruin a sweet little book that was a gift from a grandmother". We read each page twice - first the "real" story, then with the additions made by Alex. Boogs said he wished the authors "had just made their own Battle Bunny book from scratch instead of ruining the Birthday Bunny." I love my sweet boy. A couple of days later, he said he had read the book a few times both ways and decided it was really interesting how the authors twisted the true story. But he would never do that to a book.
In the ELB lunchbox (I used my new black Urban colored lid because of the evil Bunny): pb&j Battle Bunny with cheese accessories, macadamia nut megaton bombs, dried mango with A for the hero Alex, grape mind control helmets, and carrots with hummus.

A Perfecty Messed-Up Story by Patrick McDonnell
Boogs saw this book sitting on the kitchen table. He immediately opened it up and read it. Then he looked at me and sighed, "Another altered book... really?" This book shows Louie trying to tell his story. As he skips along, a great big glob of jelly lands in the middle of his page. Many more things are dropped and smeared onto his pages but little Louie keeps trying to tell his story. Finally, his book is such a mess he gives up. But then he starts to think positively and realizes messes can't ruin his story. Boogs and I talked about little Louie's perseverance and positive attitude that changed the way he felt. Boogs thought it was a cute story. He told me it reminded him a little bit of Bad Day at Riverbend (by Chris Van Allsburg). He has a good memory. We read that book about two years ago.

In the Laptop Lunchbox: book sandwich covered with smeared marker, jelly & peanut butter, carrots with hummus, mango, and yogurt.

Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

No comments:

Post a Comment