Thursday, October 4, 2012

World Animal Day Bento Blog Hop


                                                                   


Bento Bloggers & Friends are having a whale of a hop... I mean a kangaroo of a hop... I mean a penguin of a hop... Well, we are joining together for a World Animal Day hop. So, click through all of the links to see a menagerie of lunches.


Boogs and I chose to take a closer look at a few snake stories this week. They helped inspire his snake lunch.


The Gum Chewing Rattler by Joe Hayes
Joe loved chewing gum more than anything else. Sometimes, he would chew 7 pieces at a time. He always kept an extra pack of bubblegum in his shirt pocket. That habit saved his life one day when he stepped on a rattlesnake's tail. That snake rose up and aimed his fang's at Joe's heart. Luckily, it sunk it's teeth into Joe's extra pack of gum. That snake was so mad he started working his jaws to get away from the gum. Wouldn't you know, he ended up blowing a bubble three times as large as a basketball. In the ELB lunchbox: pb&j rattlesnake blowing a strawberry bubble, GUM spelled in cheese, strawberries, yogurt in a Mini Dipper, and salad with extra gumball tomatoes.

These are a few of Boogs' snake lunches from last school year:

Rumble in the Jungle by Giles Andreae
The page Boogs liked best in this book was the snake page. "The boa constrictor's a slippery snake who squashes then swallows his prey. He knows that it's not very friendly or kind, but they do taste much nicer that way." In the lunchbox: a boa constrictor squeezing a ham & cheese squirrel sandwich, a nest of baby snakes made out of pasta salad, snake orange pieces, and yogurt tube snake.



Snakes Slither and Hiss - DK Readers
When I went to check on Boogs this morning, he was in his room playing "snakes". He had taken several blankets and piled them on top of each other for a nest of leaves because he was a pit viper. I love his imagination. In the lunchbox: Box full of snakes! Spinach tortilla and hummus snake, salami snake, cheese stick snake, carrot snakes, pretzel snakes, cucumber snake, spinach tortilla strip snake, Adam and Eve apple, and yogurt.


Verdi by Janell Cannon 
I have loved this book for a long time. It was nice to be able to share it with Boogs and see him enjoy it, too. Verdi is an acrobatic young snake who can't understand the older snakes at all. As he grows older, he begins to understand their lethargy and grumblings. But he decides he will always remain young at heart. In the Laptop lunchbox: pb&j sandwich with Verdi curling through the air, carved snake carrots, watermelon, Goldfish, Pirates Booty, and yogurt.


To continue your World Animal Day hop, click the button below. It will take you to a foxy lunch at Mommy Kiki Can's blog.
                                                

                                                   
Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

60 comments:

  1. Great job! I love how your lunches are related to books! You are building such wonderful memories for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your snakes!!! and I love how you used the strawberry for the gum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters love the Verdi book! Nice job on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keitha, these are SO cute!! I especially love the gum chewing snake! :)
    So great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great lunches!!! I really like the ABC cutters you used for the GUM - what set is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get the link to copy on my iPad. The cutters are Lakeshore Dough Cutters from Lakeshore Learning.

      Delete
  6. All the snakes and coordinating books reviews are so enjoyable everytime you post them! We just love the bubblegum chewing Rattler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keitha, you are so creative! I love seeing your lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bubble blowing snake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them all, so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your snake theme. The books and the lunches look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lunches are all fabulous, but that bubble gum blowing one just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent job! I love how you incorporate the books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fun fun fun they are all creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all so creative but the bubble gum blowing snake is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I don't even like snakes, but this is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad my snakes did not creep you out.

      Delete
  16. Fantassssssssstic!!!! The strawberry is so smart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely book rendition! I'm learning from the pro. Thanks for your lunches. You're my inspiration to keep using books on bland days when I'm just out and drained. Love your blog. I'm a follower as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Thanks so much Mowie. I am glad you are enjoying my creations!

      Delete
  18. Love your snakes. They look just like the books. Don't know how you do it. They are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all of your cool snake lunches! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the bubble gum blowing cobra. really cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great lunches! I love the animal theme. I'd love to join in the hop theme sometime if they are inviting new members I know they want to keep it a small group. Off to hop :) What have I gotten myself into? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. All your lunches are so cool, love that you base them on books! Brilliant snakes all round :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great lunches! And always love the idea of linking the books with the food! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love getting lunch ideas from books.

      Delete