Friday, February 10, 2012

Lunches February 6th - 10th


Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.
 
Hey Batta Batta Swing! The Wild Old Days of Baseball by Sally Cook and James Charlton
Boogs will begin a new season of t-ball next week so we checked out a couple of baseball books. Boogs really enjoyed reading this informative book. Topics covered in the book include: baseball terms, team colors, uniforms, equipment, changes in pitching style over the years, ways people have tried to cheat, and several other topics. I felt like it was too much to read in one bedtime story session. We stayed up past bedtime to finish it. In the lunchbox: salami & cheese baseball sandwich, pb & Nutella bat sandwich, peanuts, popcorn, marshmallow baseballs, carrots, nectarine, and yogurt.
Sam and the Firefly by P.D. Eastman
I loved reading this book when I was Boogs' age. He liked it, too.  Boogs asked for me to include Firefly Gus and the scene in the book where Gus causes a bunch of cars to crash into each other. Then he ran around yelling, "I am a firefly! Look at all of the words I am writing with my light. G-o go f-a-s-t fast!" In the lunchbox: Pb&j Gus the Firefly with a dried apricot light, Babybel full moon, Sam owl pic in a blueberry night sky, banged-up car boiled egg, green beans and carrots.

Moon Loon by Sandy Ferguson Fuller
This book reminded me of summers in Canada. The call of the loon is such a beautiful and erie sound. Boogs and I researched loons this morning to hear the call of the loon. Boogs enjoyed learning about the four calls of the loon and watching a loon try to eat a scuba diver's fin. The girl in the story hears the call of the loon and worries about the loon being all alone on the lake. We also examined a Canadian "Loonie", the $1 coin, and discussed that the  Common Loon is the official bird of Ontario. In the lunchbox: almond butter & Nutella sandwich with fruit leather loon head, blueberry & blackberry lake, Babybel girl, goldfish for the fish in the lake, and spinach & broccoli for the shrubs and grass along the edge of the lake.
Always In Trouble by Corinne Demas
We spend most Wednesday afternoons at a friend's house and often stay until just about bedtime. I have started taking Boogs' pjs with us so he can fall asleep on the ride home and just be transferred to bed. Boogs' friend recommended this book from her own library. It is a cute story about a dog, Toby, who is always up to no good. In the lunchbox: Almond butter & jelly Toby sandwich, cheese stick dog bones, pretzel sticks for fetching, dried apricot balls, turkey pepperoni folded clothes, torn spinach leaves for the trash Toby scatters everywhere, and yogurt.


This morning, when I was putting the final touches on Boogs' lunch, I bumped the container with my elbow. His lunch went all over the floor. What a mess! We read The Magic Raincoat by Ryan David. It is about a little girl who makes wishes with her magic raincoat and discovers that it is best not to use it too often. I asked Boogs what he would wish for if he had a magic raincoat. His response, "I would wish for a hamster, for Daddy to be paid in gold so we could be rich, and for Martin Luther King to be back and not shot." Sometimes I wish I could peek in and read his mind, just to see what is going on in there. 


Places I have linked up:

8 comments:

  1. I love his answer! What a great boy you have!

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sandwiches are amazing! Seriously...I LOVE how Toby looks! Thank you so much for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday! I can't wait to see what you make next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a lunch genius! I think you should submit all of those for a book!! I love the literary connection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dog AND bones - too cute! You have lots of new to me book here - can't wait to check them out to find some new favorites at our house too!!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Toby sandwich---
    may I put this on The Always in Trouble page on my website?
    http://corinnedemas.com/books/trouble.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne,
      I would be honored to have you put this Toby lunch on your website. My son loved this story!

      Delete