Saturday, January 6, 2024

Crochet Woodland Animals

One of my co-workers is pregnant with twins. Her nursery is woodland animal themed. She said it would have animals like bears, moose, and foxes. I looked at a lot of crochet patterns for bears and moose. I picked one and started working on it and then decided I didn't like it. It turned out a bit wonky. I am not sure if I will frog it or finish it.


Then I found the Hang In There Bear pattern by Heather Kumpf. The pattern is available on Ravelry, Etsy, and LoveCraft. This is the photo from her ad. The pattern calls for the bear to have poly pellets to add weight to the head and an unstuffed, floppy body. 

I decided to change that up a bit and add stuffing to the body before adding the fur so it would be more cuddly. I used brown eyelash yarn from Jubilee Yarn. I was surprised that I was unable to find brown or tan eyelash yarn at Micheal's, Joann Fabric & Craft Store, or Hobby Lobby. Luckily, Amazon carried it.

This was the first time I had used eyelash yarn. It is very tricky to work with, I had trouble finding each stitch as I went along.
The shape of this little bear's head is adorable. I only used stuffing in the head, not poly pellets. I have trouble making eyes out of yarn. I didn't want to use plastic eyes because this is going to a baby. This is the head before I sewed eyes on it.
It took about 20 hours to complete the bear. 
I took the little bear outside for a photo shoot. It looked perfectly at home in the tree.

I also started a couple of different moose crochet patterns but really fell in love with Murphy the Moose by K's Crochet Critters. The pattern is on Etsy. I used Yarn Bee Effortless Super Bulky yarn in burnt autumn and barn owl. I used Yarn Bee Velvety Smooth in black for the hooves. Hobby Lobby only had one skein of the burnt autumn and I decided to play yarn chicken and lost by 98 single crochet stitches.
Luckily, there was another Hobby Lobby store nearby that had another skein of the burnt autumn so I could finish the moose. I was surprised to find that the skein at the second store had the same dye batch number as the first one I used.
I think he turned out really well. I did not follow the pattern exactly, I never do. But I like the way this moose turned out. It took me about 12 hours to make him.

I think these two animals will be the perfect addition to my coworkers woodland nursery. I hope she likes them.


What do you have on your crochet hooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment