Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lunches April 8th - 12th

Usually I start my weekly lunch post by mentioning that Boogs' lunches are inspired by the bedtime stories we read. This week, my lunch-making skills have mostly deserted me. But I figured I would post them anyway. I think Boogs' Minecraft party deleted my creativity/craftiness for a bit.

I asked Boogs almost every day this week if he wanted to buy a school lunch. He told me the school food is gross most of the time and he would rather have a Momma-made lunch.

I will start with the best lunch of the week:
Mary and Her Little Lamb by Will Moses 

By chance, Will Moses, discovered the actual school house that Mary and her lamb went to. He looked into the song/poem further to find out more about its origins. Mary Had A Little Lamb is based upon a real girl who was born in 1806 in Sterling, Massachusetts. This book, tells what might have been the events that led up to the creation of the song. Boogs was very interested in determining how to classify this story - fiction or non-fiction - since it had some true facts but also a made-up story. I love having these kinds of discussions with Boogs. It gives me a peek at his thought  and reasoning process. In the lunchbox: salami & cheese Little Lamb, fruit leather, cheese schoolhouse, marshmallow with Mary drawn on it, Cutie oranges, salad, and yogurt.

The Wolf Who Cried Boy by Bob Hartman
Yeah... some mornings my ability to make Boogs' lunch look decent disappears. This was one of those mornings. Usually, I give myself a 20 minute window in the morning to make lunches. During that time, I am eating breakfast, listening to Boogs read, helping Boogs with homework, finding lost things for school, and other things while making our lunches . As horrible as that wolf looks, I actually spent way too much time on it. Then I gave up and told Boogs, "This lunch may look horrible but it is tasty and nutritious, just take it and eat it." He took it to school and ate everything but the wolf(ish) sandwich. He said it looked "too creepy" to eat. I linked this lunch up to BentOnBetterLunches "When Bentos Go Bad" linky. Sadly, the majority of lunches posted there are mine.


So, the next morning, I sent him to school with this:
No theme, no story... just lunch. It took all of five minutes to throw in my Laptop Lunchbox. I plan to link it to Bentos on the Bayou: 15 Minute Friday linky party. Veggies, hummus, ham, Cutie, and cottage cheese. He ate all of it.


Today's lunch was not that bad.
Subway Sparrow by Leyla Torres
A little sparrow flew through the subway train doors just as they were closing. A little girl and others on the train tried to capture the sparrow to release it at the next stop. The little girl spoke English, the man on the train spoke Spanish, the boy on the train spoke English, and the woman on the train spoke Polish. They all worked together and saved the bird. The illustrations carry the reader through the story. Boogs thought it was pretty amusing when I was trying to read the Polish dialog in the book. I told him what I thought the woman's words meant by using context clues. Boogs thought I was probably pretty close with my translation, but he wanted a word-for-word translation. So we got online and figured it out and even had each word pronounced correctly for us. In the ELB lunchbox: kiwi, carrots, Cutie, pita chips, hummus, and almond butter & jelly sparrow.

They are having pizza at school tomorrow, so Boogs is going to buy that for lunch. Maybe I will get my Bento mojo back next week. :-)

Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. 

15 comments:

  1. Love the lamb lunch! Did you use a cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used a Wilton cookie cutter for it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I need to look for that one for my lamb cookie cutter collection.

      Delete
  2. Cute and fun, easy is good too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, except for hops, my lunches are easy for me unless I am tired and have no creativity.

      Delete
  3. I am inspired by your creativity! And those books look super fun! Especially "The Wolf Who Cried Boy!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, your lunches are fantastic! My favorite is the wolf. It totally makes me smile! The 5 minute one is absolutely perfect! It is so colorful, healthy and delicious looking. Thank you for linking to 15 Minute Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca. I am really enjoying seeing everyone's quick lunches.

      Delete
  5. I get totally aggravated when creative things don't turn out the way I picture in my head!! Your lunches are always so cute!! but I guess I can see your ll' guys point about the wolf looking a lil' creepy...STILL so SO much better than what I would have came up with,,,,and creepy wolf totally needed to be eaten...he couldn't keep eyeing you if he was in the tummy ;-)...lol

    Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelle,
      Your comment made me laugh. In the tummy would have been much better. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  6. The sparrow book sounds like one you both enjoyed researching. I will be sharing this post on Facebook and Pinterest tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. I think he enjoyed being able to stay up a bit late to conduct our research. Thanks for sharing this post.

      Delete
  7. I always love seeing your lunch ideas.

    Thanks for sharing on The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete