Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sculpting With Clay

Boogs is really enjoying our Wednesday Learning Playdates. This week we decided to have the kids do something more creative and artistic. C and I were thinking about painting using pointillism. When I asked Boogs what kind of art project he would like to do, he immediately said, "We can make some things with clay and then paint those things the next time." That sounded like a great plan. Boogs helped me find a few books about sculpting at our library, we bought a ten pound block of clay from Michael's, and some wire (in case the kids wanted to use it to help structure their creations).

We quickly went through our two sculpting books and then just let the kids create. E was especially interested in the Egyptian sculpture pictured in The Story of Sculpture.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera this week. So there are not very many pictures and the pictures I took with my phone did not come out all that great.
B went to her room and got a bowl she had made
at school to help her figure out what to make.
Boogs kept making and squishing his creations.
He finished working on a bowl.

E wanted his creations to look just like the
pictures in the book.

Boogs used his tools to carve images on the side
of his bowl.

C made a dolphin.

B also made a clay version of her dog.

Thumbs up! It's a hollow thumb that fits on your hand.

E's Nefertiti sculpture.

I made a coil pot out of clay. I work much better
with food. So, the next day, I madeBoogs a lunch
based on sculpture with a breadbowl, carved carrots,
and sculpted cereal bar hearts.

The kids are excited about painting their clay next week.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Keitha, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will pop over and check out your blog.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic art sessions, looks like the kids really enjoyed themselves. The book sounds great too.

    Thank you for joining in with Kids Get Arty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete