Friday, March 23, 2012

Lunches March 19th - 23rd

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.


It's Probably Penny by Loreen Leedy
The books in the Penny series are fantastic!  This story is all about probability and making predictions. The students' homework in "It's Probably Penny" is to predict and record several things throughout their weekend. Boogs and I read this last Friday. The following are Boogs dictated answers to the homework assignment in the story.

1) Predict three events for this weekend one that will happen, one that might happen, and one that can't happen. Boogs: Saturday will be green day (St. Patrick's Day). We might go to McDonalds. We can't go to school on Saturday or Sunday.

2) Think of two events, one with a tiny chance of happening and one that is impossible. Boogs: McDonalds could happen if Daddy doesn't say no. School can't happen because Saturday and Sunday are just days the school is closed.

3) Write an event with 3 equal possible outcomes. Boogs: If we go out to eat this weekend, we have an equal chance of going to Chuy's, Chipotle, or McDonalds.

 4) Tell about an event with several possible unequal outcomes, order them from most to least likely to happen. Boogs: I will wear green. I might forget to wear green. It is least that I will see grandmaman tomorrow.

We enjoyed working on this together. We have continued to make predictions and discuss probability. Boogs also enjoyed answering some probability questions on a PBS' Prankster Planet game.  In the lunchbox: 5 jelly beans with an equal chance of picking green, pb&j Penny sandwich with fruit leather glasses & tongue, oatmeal raisin muffin for the probability of which flavor pancake Penny's owner would have, blueberries for the blueberries in the story's pancakes, orange for the balloon Penny popped, and veggies like the ones from the farmer's market in the story.
Moosetache by margie Palatini
Boogs thought this book was hilarious! Moose has a  horrible mustache that constantly gets in his way. He tries all sorts of ways to tame his hairy problem. In the lunchbox: Moose almond butter and jelly sandwich, shredded cheese stick mustache, carrots with hummus, mango, and yogurt.

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long
David Shannon's illustrations in this book are amazing. The little boy in the story tells a tale of life at sea with pirates and treasure. Boogs enjoyed repeating the pirate phrases in this story. In the lunchbox: chicken gold pieces, cantaloupe jewels, rotten and slightly green pirate teeth tortellini, fruit leather Jolly Roger, and a treasure map disguised at as a yogurt tube. Boogs insisted that I leave out veggies in this lunch because the pirates in the story never, ever ate vegetables.
Pete's A Pizza by William Steig
We spend Wednesday afternoons at a friend's house, usually have pizza for dinner, and then come home late. I have been taking Boogs' pajamas and story books with us so that when we get home I can transfer him from the car to bed. Boogs and his friend "B", pretended to be the boy in this story who was made into a pizza. We acted out the story. They were kneaded, sprinkled, topped, and put into the oven. They had a great time. This is a fun book to read. In the lunchbox: pizza, black olives, cantaloupe, grapes, and salad.
Rumble in the Jungle by Giles Andreae
The page Boogs liked best in this book was the snake page. "The boa constrictor's a slippery snake who squashes then swallows his prey. He knows that it's not very friendly or kind, but they do taste much nicer that way." In the lunchbox: a boa constrictor squeezing a ham & cheese squirrel sandwich, a nest of baby snakes made out of pasta salad, snake orange pieces, and yogurt tube snake.


Check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post.

18 comments:

  1. I am always interested to see how you match the books to the lunch. The boa constrictor squeezing the sandwich is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to do. Some days, like with Moosetache, my creatvity deserts me.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to add fun to the everyday and reinforce reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pinned these! I think JDaniel would love the book about dogs.

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other two Penny books are "Mapping Penny's World" and "Measuring Penny". They also have a homework assignment page in them that is fun to do with your kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun as always! We have Mustache and love it. There are apparently a couple more in the series too that I must check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boogs told me he read the Christmas Moosetache at school. I have not seen any of them but this one.

      Delete
  6. I just love how you do the sandwiches!! You've inspired me "play" with food a little more--I have a post planned for later this week about it! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, I will be sure to stop by and check out your food creation!

      Delete
  7. I know it's the snakes you linked up, but I LOVE the dog with sunglasses! Voting has opened for favorite reptile!

    Diana
    Diana Rambles
    Bento Blog Network

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just put a hold on the It's Probably Penny book - looks great! Your lunch creation to with it is AMAZING!! And we too LOVE How I becamse a pirate in our house =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I always love seeing what things you come up with!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Be sure to get ahold of the other books in the Penny series. They are all cute and informative.

      Delete
  9. You always find the best books! I haven't heard of It's Probably Penny but I definitely want to check it out... and your Penny is Amazing!! I am still really struggling to be creative and I continue to be in Awe that you can come up with something new every day. Maybe if I could just get some sleep... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I think I have a bit more time than you do at this point in my life. Newborns require so much attention. I really admire all that you do for your family. Hope sleep finds you soon.

      Delete
  10. These are amazing! Thank you for including Penny in your luncheon gallery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope I did Penny justice. A couple of weeks ago, I made a lunch out of There's A Frog In My Throat. http://keithaschaos.blogspot.com/2012/03/lunches-february-27th-march-1st.html

      Delete