Saturday, March 24, 2012

Brain-Based Obstacle Course

A couple of weeks ago, my friend C and I were going to put together a "Brain-Based Obstacle Course" to wrap up our Internal Organs unit of study. We had no idea what we were going to do, we just wanted to make something fun for our kiddos with a little bit of review. Illness and Spring Break kept us from getting back together until this week. We let the kids run wild inside C's house while we tried to figure out what to put in our obstacle course. We had fun setting it up. Our kiddos had a blast getting through it.
The occipital lobe controls vision. We
blindfolded the kids to have them complete
a task without being able to see.
Big Sis led them up to the maze.
Without their sight, they had to hold
and follow the rope to complete this part
of the course.

It was fun to watch them.
This task used the frontal lobe for planning
and problem-solving to make it across the
uneven path of squares while hopping on
 one foot.
We taped some boxes together for
a tunnel. The kids crawled through
on their knees.
Then they slid through on their backs.
When Boogs went through, the
other kids shook the box and
yelled, "Earthquake!"
E went through last.
A mini-obstacle course through
two chairs and a table challenged
the control and coordination of
their muscles. This coordination is
 controlled by the cerebellum.
Yes, I know they should have been wearing helmets.
Everyone took a turn.
Even Big Sis.
It was a beautiful day. B made
quite a few baskets.
Boogs loves and looks forward
to Wednesday afternoons.
See, I did make him wear a helmet while bike riding.
H had a heavy load to pull.
Look at those smiles of joy! Go faster H!

The kids are wearing their organ t-shirts made by using downloads from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational's blog.

Be sure to check out my side bar for all of the wonderful sites I like to link to.


Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

19 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! Wow! Well done! I'm pinning, tweeting, sharing, etc!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I am featuring this idea on the Kid's Co-Op Page. Recently obsessed with Brain Gym, I am mildly obsessed with these ideas! I write Carrots Are Orange by the way...

      Delete
    2. Thanks for featuring this. Glad you enjoyed our obstacle course.

      Delete
  3. good on big sis for joining in! looks like lots of fun - might try thins at my next back-yard party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to end the lesson!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome way to learn about the brain! Seriously fun and packed with great info! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great idea, and educational all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome obstacle course! Fun, physical, educational...so cool! I'm so glad you shared it at Teach Me Tuesday! I'm going to share it on Facebook and pin it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured this activity on my Kid Co-Op link up post today. I used one of your photos with a link back to your blog and of course mentioned your name!! Let me know if this is a problem! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! It looks like it was fun for kids of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. That looks like so much fun! I'm sure they all loved it, and like everyone's been saying a great way to review all of those different parts of the brain and what it controls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great activity to make learning fun and all outdoors, I can see they all had a great time. Thanks for sharing your outdoor fun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete