Friday, January 24, 2014

Lunches January 20th - 24th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks. We like to pack our lunches in ELBs and Laptop Lunchboxes
 
 Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? by Lauren Child
I lost track of how many times we read this book this week. Boogs asked me to re-check it out from my school's library so he can read it a few more times. In the story, Herb does not know how to properly take care of books. His books have crumbs and peas smashed in between the pages. There are mustaches drawn on many of the character's faces. Herb even took scissors to cut characters out of some of his books. Herb never gave a thought to his mistreatment of books until the night he mysteriously fell (or perhaps dreamed he fell) into his book of fairy tales. He met many characters who were very angry with him. Goldilocks was mad because he fell into the story that she was starring in, the Queen was mad because Herb cut Prince Charming and the royal throne out of the book. Cinderella's step-mother was enraged because her page had been torn out of the book and put back in upside down. Herb also put telephone stickers on every page. Herb managed to return to his own room before the mob of character caught him. Then he immediately began repairing the damage in his book - erasing mustaches, taping character back in, trying to remove food stains... He learned his lesson and decided to treat his books better in the future.

In the ELB lunchbox: porridge from the Three Bears house, peas (Boogs will never eat peas, but "they" say if you keep serving a child a certain food the child will eventually eat it. Oh that makes me laugh.) Herb drawn on cheese, screaming pancake Goldilocks, ham with cheese Three Bears, and berries that will not be smeared into a book.


Snowmen All Year by Caralyn Buehner
The boy in this story imagines what it would be like if his snowman friend could stay all year. I was running late the morning I made this lunch. I threw food into the lunchbox and took a photo of it in about 10 minutes. In the Laptop Lunchbox: pb&j sandwich ball snowman, goldfish from the pond, marshmallow snowballs, pineapple sunshine, firework picks over broccoli trees, and carrots.


 Just a lunch
In the Laptop Lunchbox: Zbar, salami, carrots, hummus, cheese stick, and mango.

This week Boogs asked me why his lunches weren't as fun as they used to be. He has started to enjoy reading longer chapter books and is moving away from reading picture books. I LOVE picture books so this makes me a bit sad. I told him I need the books for inspiration to make his lunches cute. He let me know that he ate everything in his lunchbox but would really like to have his regular story themed lunches back all week.



Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.




4 comments:

  1. What fun! I love the snowman! We are still waiting for snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great books!! I want to go check out Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book. It looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a fun book! Thank goodness for libraries or my house would be overrun with books.

      Delete