Friday, October 26, 2012

Lunches October 22nd - 26th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.

Fall Mixed Up by Bob Raczka
Boogs absolutely loved this book. In it, a little boy tells about his favorite time of the year. The story begins, "Every Septober, Every Octember, Fall fills my senses with scenes to remember." From that point on, everything about Fall is mixed up. Bears gather nuts, geese hibernate, leaves fall up, squirrels fly south for the winter, kids jump in piles of sticks, trick-or-treaters receive turkey and gravy for treats, and many other mix-ups. The illustrations are gorgeous. At the end of the book, the reader is told to go back through and try to find all the mixed-up things in the story. Boogs studied every page closely. This is definitely a book I have to purchase. In the Laptop lunchbox: pb&j squirrel flying south for the winter attached to a strawberry balloon, hotdog mummy bat, pretzel sticks pile, nuts gathered by the bears, strawberry balloons to help the squirrels fly, and broccoli.


 On Halloween Night by Ferida Wolff and Dolores Kozielski
This is a counting book about all the things that stir on Halloween night. Two boys follow a foggy trail that takes them by witches, cats, owls, creeping bugs, and other creatures. This was a cute little book. In the Laptop lunchbox: ghost & witch grilled cheese sandwiches, candy corn, yogurt, blackberries, and salad.



Halloween Is... by Gail Gibbons
Gail Gibbons is the author of many informative books for children. In this book she explains the history of Halloween, Halloween symbols, and traditions. Boogs thought it was interesting. In the ELB lunchbox: boiled egg ghost, orange jack-o-lantern, salami & cheese cat sandwich, Babybel full moon, witch drawn on Mini Dipper of yogurt, skeleton pick in carrots, and some batty grapes.


Mrs. Piccolo's Easy Chair by Jean Jackson
Mrs. Piccolo and her chair are great friends but sometimes that chair can be quite difficult to be around. When the chair is hungry he softens up his cushions and traps Mrs. Piccolo until she agrees to give him his favorite snack of cheese puffs. When Mrs. Piccolo left the house one day, the chair decided to walk to the grocery store and buy his own cheese puffs. Along the way, he met some people who tried to stop him. So that chair swallowed up anyone who got in his way. Boogs giggled all the way through this story. We read it together twice and then he read it on his own many times before we returned it to the library. In the ELB lunchbox: pb&j chair with the hat (picks) of two of the people who got in his way, nuts and cheese coins that were stuck under his cushion, Pirate's Booty Cheese Puffs, berries, and salad.

Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.  .

18 comments:

  1. These are great. I do a similar thing using books we're reading in school to create a muffin tin meal- My four year old just loves them! Thanks for showing all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one! It is so cute and fits the story very well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chair - too funny!! As always I am looking up these books at my local library!! You find the best new-to-me books!!

    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I feel very fortunate to have such an incredible library in my community.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love the Halloween theme this week. I am always amazed by how creative and different your lunches are. Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mixed Up Fall is going on my book list! I am sharing this post on the Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deirdre. I have it on my wish list to purchase.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work once again Keitha!! Hope Boogs, you and your hubby have a fantastic Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. I voted just before I went to bed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the Fall link today! Super cute!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Diana. I know I linked this post up for the Halloween BOTW. I guess that is what happens when I only post my lunches weekly.

      Delete
  8. What great lunches and books!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete