Friday, October 5, 2012

Lunches October 1st - 5th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.

A Poem A Day By Helen H. Moore (and other poets)
Boogs and I were inspired by a poem for lunch today.
Roy G. Biv
Roy G. Biv is an odd name for a fellow, 
but what his name means is Red Orange Yellow. 
The G is for Green which as you may know 
comes right in the middle of every rainbow. 
Next: Blue and Indigo more pale than dark. 
Then V for Violet - and that completes the arc! 
by Carol Weston 
In the Laptop lunchbox: a rainbow of colors, orange carrots, green kiwi, yellow cheese, red(ish) ham, blue blueberry, almonds, and pumpkin chocolate chip muffin.

The GUM Chewing Rattler by Joe Hayes
This lunch was part of a Bento Blogger & Friends blog hop. See the details here.


Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett
Boogs thinks this book is hilarious. Last year, we used a different page in the book for inspiration for a chicken lunch. Today's lunch has a snake slithering out of his pants. In the lunchbox: plums, broccoli, spinach, Clif Bar snake, cheese stick snake slithering out of ham & salami pants, and carrot snakes.

A closer look.

Too Many Toys by David Shannon
I think this book pretty accurately describes Boogs' toy collection. The boy in the story has toys everywhere, too many to play with them all. His mother decides it is time to sort some of them out to give them away. After a very trying day, a box of toys has been set aside to leave the house. This book makes me want to go organize and purge the playroom. After reading this book, Boogs said, "I think I have just the right amount of toys. We don't have to get rid of anything." In the lunchbox: ham & cheese boy wearing a space helmet, milk, pretzel pick-up sticks, grape balls, salad with tomato marbles, and two small lego-like candies.


Mom And Dad Are Palindromes by Mark Shulman
Boogs was fascinated with this book. It has more than 101 palindromes, words or phrases that are spelled exactly the same forwards and backwards. In the story, Bob's teacher pointed out to the class that "BOB" is a palindrome. This freaked Bob out a little bit. Then he began to find palindromes everywhere: Mom, Dad, Anna, Nan, eye, pup, race car, noon, rotor, and many more. At the end of the book, he figured out a way to stop being a palindrome. He decided to stop calling himself Bob and go by his full name. Uh-oh, even his full name is a palindrome - Robert Trebor. In the lunchbox: pb&j BOB sandwich, sad faced Babybel Bob, MOM picks on tomatoes, DAD picks on olives, LEVEL picks on strawberries, and yogurt topped with palindromes.


Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.

23 comments:

  1. Love them all!!! John takes great offense every time I suggest we read Too Many Toys ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Well, can you imagine our reaction if someone said we had too many toys (lunch making supplies)!?!

      Delete
  2. ha ha, you can never have too many( bento) toys, right? Thanks, Keitha, for sharing these for Fancy Sandwich Friday, they all look great! I really love the snake slithering out of his pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have enough, unless you are Kendra. That snake lunch did not make the cut for the WAD hop.

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! I just started doing movie themed muffin tin lunches not too long ago for my 2 year old, but I love books so I love your lunch ideas!

    http://lifeisfantasmic.blogspot.com/2012/10/c-is-for-cowboy-toy-story-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa. Your muffin tin lunches are cute. I really liked your bear theme lunch.

      Delete
  4. Love all the lunches. Adorable as usual. My favorite was the Mom and Dad Palindromes. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The palindrome lunch was my favorite this week.

      Delete
  5. I love the palindrome lunch too. Thank you for sharing it on Read.Explore.Learn. I will be sharing it on the Read.Explore.Learn Facebook page on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative and clever. I am pinning these ideas. I hope you'll consider linking this post up to The Children's Bookshelf Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love, love these! So much fun. Thanks for sharing on the I Heart Lunch link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are those edible crayons? So cute! Love the boy in your lunch from Too Many Toys! You are so clever =-)


    Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week and I look forward to seeing you linked up again on Friday,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, those crayons are cupcake picks. I just thought the lunch needed an extra bit of color.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. Boogs had fun reading his yogurt lid, backwards and forwards.

      Delete
  10. What a cute idea! Thanks for linking up to The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so many creative lunches and lots of new books for us to check out! Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back again to let you know that I'll be featuring your post tomorrow as part of my Children's Bookshelf Round-up. I love it.

    ReplyDelete