Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lunches October 15th - 19th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read a book or a chapter of a book to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.

Loose Tooth by Steven Kroll
Flapper and Fang are twin bats. Flapper is upset and jealous about all of the attention Fang is getting for his loose tooth. Flapper decides to steal it so the Tooth Fairy cannot leave Flapper any money. Boogs was not happy with Flapper's attitude while we were reading this book. He said, "That is just not right. You can't steal someone's tooth like that. I'm glad he confessed at the end." Boogs has his 3rd loose tooth and he was kind of upset that Fang missed out on his visit from the Tooth Fairy. Luckily, everything turned okay by the end of the story. In the ELB lunchbox. Flapper & Fang cheese bats hanging from a rolled up piece of ham limb, pumpkin chocolate chip muffin, blackberries with tooth picks, blueberries, and carrots with hummus in an ELB mini dipper.

The School Nurse From the Black Lagoon by  Mike Thaler
Boogs checked this book out from his school library. We have read and enjoyed the other Mike Thaler books in the Black Lagoon series. Boogs loved looking at all the creepy pictures of the nurse's office. He wanted to have a lunch that showed a kid stuck in an ice block but I could not figure out how to make it. So, this lunch highlights some of the creepy items in this book. In the ELB lunchbox: almond butter & jelly skull, spinach tortellini in pesto sauce rotting livers, body part goo yogurt, blackberry brains, and broccoli. (I used three leak proof Mini Dippers in this lunch.)

I Know A Lot Of Things by Ann and Paul Rand
The child in this story tells about many of the things that he knows for sure. "I know such a lot of things, but as I grow I know I'll know much more." While Boogs and I read this story, he kept stopping to expand on the simple sentences of the text. I was surprised at how much he enjoyed this book. He insisted that his lunch be based on this page, "Of course I know a horse can pull a wagon full of wood." In the Laptop lunchbox: pb&j spotted horse with spinach blinders, cheese wagon with cheese pieces of wood, "round as a bun" sun orange, Zbar "an acorn drop kerplop", salad, and yogurt. 


 
The details for these two lunches can be found on my Bento Bloggers & Friends Halloween Hop post.


Ten Timid Ghosts by Jennifer O'Connell
Arthur's Halloween by Marc Brown



Be sure to check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post or go to My Story Themed Lunches board on Pinterest. I would love for you to leave a comment to let me know you stopped by. 

11 comments:

  1. I adore your Arthur is looks just like him. Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn. I am going to share this post on the Read.Explore.Learn. Facebook page tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Arthur bento is a real hoot! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keitha,

    I am working on a Christmas Round-up Post and was wondering if you'd be interested in me including any Christmas lunches you have? The round-ups usually produce some good traffic.

    If you are interested email me your link to livinglifeintentionallyblog (AT) gmail.com

    Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how fun, Keitha! I always love reading your lunch posts! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your lunches are great! I especially love the Arthur one! Thank you for sharing! I would love to do a book themed lunch one day. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liezl. I find it much easier to make story themed lunches than to come up with a new idea every day for lunch. My son really enjoys seeing his stories come alive.

      Delete