Friday, April 13, 2012

Lunches April 10th - 13th

Boogs' lunches are inspired by the books we read at bedtime the previous evening. Each night, Boogs reads one book to me and I read two books to him. I usually post his lunches once a week. Click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post to see lunches from previous weeks.


Earthquakes! They Make the Ground Shake
by the Editors of Time For Kids with Barbara Collier
Boogs asked for a "fact lunch" after reading this book last night. This is a very informative short book with more than forty facts about earthquakes.  In the lunchbox: salami & cheese building before and after an earthquake, 7 tectonic plate crackers, marshmallow model of earth's inner core/outer core/mantle/crust, the pretzel center is like the focus of an earthquake with the rest of the pretzel showing where the energy waves spread outward, blueberry tsunami wave, and salad landslide.
Mary Had A Little Jam And Other Silly Rhymes created by Bruce Lansky
Silly is right! Boogs laughed out loud while we read this book. It is a collection of Mother Goose poems/rhymes changed up a bit to make them ridiculously silly. One of Boogs' favorites was "Three kind mice, see how they run! They all ran after the farmer's wife, they took out some cheese and they cut her a slice. Did you ever see such a sight in your life as three kind mice?" We had to stop after almost every rhyme to say the real Mother Goose version. I liked "Hickory, dickory, dock, a mouse jumped in my sock. He wiggled his nose and tickled my toes, which gave me quite a shock!" In the lunchbox: three kind mice pb&j sandwich balls, mango, Babybel slice of cheese for the farmer's wife, broccoli, carrots, and yogurt.
Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood
We own quite a few Audrey Wood books and frequently check out her books from the library. Boogs read this story to me. He enjoyed reading it so much that he started over and read it again. I love watching him become a better reader. Audrey Wood's website has a really neat "secrets" section. Boogs was fascinated by seeing how members of the Wood family posed as models for the illustrations in some of Audrey Wood's books. In the lunchbox: "busy as a bee" ham & cheese bee, "small as an ant" raisins, "quiet as a clam" pistachios, "tame as a poodle" broccoli dog, extra broccoli, and a container of pears.
My Granny Went To Market by Stella Blackstone & Christopher Corr
A Round-the-World Counting Rhyme
I love that there is world map with dots and arrows showing the reader the route Granny took on her round-the-world shopping tour. She began her tour in Istanbul to buy a flying carpet. Then she rode the flying carpet to each of her shopping destinations before visiting her granddaughter in Peru. That lucky granddaughter was given ten black llamas and the magic carpet. The book ends with the girl starting her own adventure. Boogs really liked this book. He now wants a magic carpet. He told me, "I would go to the North Pole to see Santa Claus and my elf Cutesy and then come back to Texas. I would also go to see the Leaning Eiffel Tower of Pisa in Italy." Close... we discussed a few world landmarks to sort out the Leaning Tower and the Eiffel Tower. In the lunchbox: 1flying carpet pb&j sandwich roll, 2 Babybel cats from Thailand (I cut one Babybel in half to make the two cats), 4 kiwi Chinese lanterns, 8 sesame stick boomerangs from Australia, 9 Goldfish kites from Tokyo, and a salad.


Check out the wonderful sites I link to on my sidebar! If you want to see more book inspired lunches, click on the "lunches" label at the end of this post. Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know you stopped by.

17 comments:

  1. Oooh - time for kids! What a wonderful way to teach kids about current events =-)

    By the way, your link showed up - it just takes a minute sometimes. Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. Maybe there is something wrong with my computer/connection. Even on Saturday afternoon, I am unable to see past link #30. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my link and respond to my comment.

      Delete
  2. Oh how cute! I love that you plan the lunches based on bedtime stories. Does your son have any idea how special this is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! On Friday (My Granny Went to Market) my son looked at the lunch and said, "Good job, Momma. You really matched the theme to the story." He is very excited about his theme lunches.

      Delete
  3. What fun ideas! I like the way you made the mice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I learned the technique on Bento Blog Network. She has really great links to technique tutorials. The Bento Blog Network button is on my side bar.

      Delete
  4. wow I am so impressed. what a lovely and thoughtful way to get your child interested in books and enjoying a variety of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is also a sneaky way to get a little fun learning in every day.

      Delete
  5. These are the cutest lunches ever! I have to try this--maybe my youngest will EAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know when you try a story lunch. I would love to see it.

      Delete
  6. I love that you read a mix of fiction and non-fictions books! Love your lunches! I am pinning them.

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As a former elementary teacher, I know how important it is for kiddos to be comfortable reading non-fiction. Boogs likes to tell me which facts to include in his lunches.

      Delete
  7. I love the salami/cheese sandwich for the earthquake before and after! Such a great illustration--could be used in a discussion too! Thanks for sharing at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job with the lunches!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your creative lunches (of course) but I also love the great books that I discover through your posts! Mary had a Little Jam sounds like so much fun- I love Bruce Lansky but I'm not familiar with this one!! Thanks, as always, for linking up to Food Adventure Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Had A Little Jam is a fun book. We also used it as a spring board for (re)writing our own nursery rhymes.

      Delete